The WiFi USB adapter (Alfa AWUS036H) will be installed in the outdoor enclosure (see below) at the radar mount about half way up the mast (about 18ft). The USB cable will connect from there to the R36 router inside the cabin.
Items needed (qty 1 of each) and their SKUs on data-alliance.net
- SKU R36: Alfa R36 Router for AWUS036H & other, Create hotspot / Access Point. Wireless Bridge / Repeater
- SKU CU5: Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW USB Wireless WiFi Adapter + Antenna. Long-Range
- SKU U10: USB 2.0 Active Repeater Extension Cable: 10 meters / 33-ft: Chain up to 25 meters / 80FT
- SKU A8oM: Antenna: Marine Waterproof 8dBi Omni-Directional Stainless Steel
- SKU: ENC2: Outdoor Enclosure / Mount for Alfa AWUS036H AWUS036NH & Antenna: Fits all small WiFi USB adapters
- SKU P4: Antenna cable: RP-SMA male to N male: 10-inch
- SKU SG: Waterproof Seal for Electrical & USB Connections: Silicone Grease, Clear, Never Hardens
The cost for all of the above items is $127.43 + shipping (as of March 2013)
HOW THIS SYSTEM WORKS:
- The “remote” signal – a WiFi signal that has an internet connection – is picked up by the Alfa WiFi adapter
- The Alfa WiFi adapter plugs into the R36 by USB cable
- The R36 then acts as a local access point – re-broadcasting that signal locally (such as in a boat).
- Then the local users can connect to the R36′s WiFi signal
This system works for Android Tablet, iPad, iPhone , Blackberry users: See detailsAuthor: George Hardesty